Saturday, February 18, 2017

Nuevo Bridgewater

Today we were on the Cape of Cod for the first time in several months, to redeem some much-appreciated gift cards at the Trader Joe's in Hyannis. A long drive with a short walk seemed the best way to enjoy a sunny afternoon without breaking my commitment to rest the tendons that hold my left foot in place.

As we were getting ready to leave our place in Fairhaven, I thought to myself, "I wonder if there is a Bridgewater on Cape Cod." I was remembering such non-town Bridgewaters as the shopping center we visited in Ohio last year and a subdivision in Maryland where we toured a model home in 2013. As soon as the words were forming in my mind, they reminded me of the obvious: our own Bridgewater State University Cape Cod mini-campus.


We had not been to campus before, but knew that it was just a simple building, not yet open on weekends. As it finds its academic footing, I'm not sure whether I will ever have a professional gig there, but I have helped to lead a number of geography field camps on Cape Cod and once published a photo essay about this amazing slice of physical and human geography. So perhaps it will provide an excuse for some future geography gigs in one of my favorite areas.
Image may contain: sky, tree and outdoor
I set up this photo to capture most of the open space on campus.
Image may contain: sky, tree and outdoor
A retired school, but sadly it no longer has a gym, though I had
suggested keeping it for EarthView.
As she usually does when we are in the car together, Pam played DJ, and selected my very favorite CD -- Clandestino by the enigma Manu Chao. There is simply no better driving music, and it was perfect for zooming home along that Cape highway. Enjoy:

No comments:

Post a Comment